Abram (1745) and Joshua (1746) Haines arrived in Virginia. Abram, et,ux. applied to affiliate with "Opequon (Quaker) Meeting" on 9 July 1745 from the meeting in New Jersey. Joshua applied in February 1746 from meeting in New Jersey. They lived someplace in the area, probably in the part of the oldest log section of the "Feagans' House".
Joshua Haines purchased 700+ acres from Benjamin Borden, Jr., of Augusta County, VA. This land is believed to have been part of the Bullskin tract.
Abraham Haines bought 314 acres of this land from Borden, Jr.
Joshua Haines died intestate.
Abraham Haines, Sr. prepared his will and ot was proved after his death in 1758.
Abraham Haines willed "Bullskinskin to Nathan Haines upon him reaching age of majority", 21 years. This would have been in 1775 or 76 since he was born in 1754.
Joseph Thompson sold 12 acres plus a 50 acre plot adjacent to ol. George Washington's line to Nathan Haines.
Nathan Haines purchased 14 acres "onthe south side ofthe Bukllskin marsh" orginally surveyed for Joist Hite and partners Robert Green, William Duff, and Robert McKay for 90 pounds sterling.
Three mills, per Charles Varle map, are recorded on the Bullskin Run, the eastern most being the Grubb Mill (known as the John Grove Place). Since Haines descendants married Grubb sisters, the Haines family came to have an interest in this mill as well. The middle mill was possibly the Straith fulling (woolen) mill later Jobe's and Porter's Mill. Finally was the Haines Mill, possibly with the saw mill adjacenct to it.
Jefferson County and Tax lists Nathan Haines with 315 acres, with house attachedn not assesssed. This house was possibly the log house called Feagans' House.
Nathan Haines prepared his will thusly:
son John 50 acres purchased from Grubb oplus 10 acres from "Home Farm"; son Nathan, Jr. got residue 269 acres including the Tan yard repurchased from Thompson earlier. Nathan Sr. further specified that son Daniel should receive life estate to the Merchant Mill, saw mill and Mill lot with dwelling house (definitely the Feagans' House). with description of bounds clear to the Thorton and Washington lines, and after Daniel's death, his children would receive the properties in equal shares. This acreage included 16+ acres in one and 20+ acres in another.
Nathan lived until 1824, and was preceded in death by son, John, in 1822. This caused some problems later in numerous chancery actions.
Daniel Haines has mill and dwelling "stii in trust" valued at $2400, while Nathan Jr. has stone house, brick house, and 269 acres valued at $1000.
Following death of Daniel Haines, his holdings went into Chancery Court as a result of the action. Nathan Walker, Thomas. Rebecca Heller of Highland County, Ohio, sold her interest in the mill , saw mill, 20 acres, and dwelling (Feagans' House) to Phillips for $2000 in 1857.
Drury,et ux. sold the log Feagans' House and 2 1/2 acres to Daniel P. and Agnes ason Lutz for $3000. Lutz et ux, were to have first refusal should the mill ever be offered for sale. Because of several "traffic encounters" between the Jefferson County School Bus using Wheatland Road in the old course, the Lutz's persuaded the West Virginia State Road Commission to relocate Wheatland Road to its present course over the hill, behind the Feagans' House.
Bessie Lee Burns inherits 1/2 interest in the Mill and acres at the passing of Martha Burns Mason, her mother. Daniel . Lutz, Jr. and Nancy K. Lutz each inherited 1/4 shares in the mill and acres. Daniel P. Lutz, Jr. purchased the 1/2 interest of Bessie Lee Mason Burns for $10,000.
Following protracted ligitation, an agreement was executed by Nancy Karen Lutz to cede her claims to the Mill, Feagans' House, New House (1962) and acreage of about 14 and 1/2 acres , in consideration of 12 and 1/2 acres of farmland fronm the James R. Mason holdings.
Daniel P. Lutz, Jr. began restoration work on Feagans'Mill, Feagans' House, and grounds.